Austin, TX—Natural gross sales are on the rise. The American Botanical Council (ABC) reported that annual gross sales of natural dietary dietary supplements within the U.S. totaled $12.350 billion in 2021. That’s based on ABC’s 2021 Herb Market Report. That determine represents the best recorded annual spending on these merchandise within the U.S., ABC shared. The quantity is up 9.7% from the earlier yr, and is the second-highest annual gross sales development for natural dietary supplements since a minimum of 2000, based on ABC.
The report (revealed in Difficulty 136 of HerbalGram) relies on U.S. retail gross sales information offered by SPINS and Diet Enterprise Journal (NBJ). It was written by Tyler Smith, managing editor of HerbalGram; Haleigh Resetar, company communications specialist at SPINS; and Claire Morton, senior business analyst at NBJ.
The 2021 Herb Market Report contains tables of complete U.S. natural complement gross sales from 2000 to 2021 and the 40 top-selling herbs within the U.S. mainstream and pure retail channels. As ABC reviews, a number of substances that noticed development throughout 2020 at first of the COVID-19 pandemic continued to see elevated gross sales in 2021. Taking a look at some specifics:
- Within the mainstream retail channel, gross sales of natural dietary supplements containing the Ayurvedic adaptogen ashwagandha had the best gross sales development for the second yr in a row. 2021 mainstream gross sales greater than quadrupled from 2020.
- 2021 gross sales of dietary supplements containing apple cider vinegar (ACV) greater than doubled in comparison with 2020 in each mainstream and pure shops.
- Quercetin dietary supplements had the strongest gross sales development within the pure channel in 2021.
- 4 natural substances within the pure channel skilled gross sales decreases of greater than 30%:
- Elderberry. ABC reported that elderberry dietary supplements had been down 41.4% from 2020, but nonetheless ranked fourth in gross sales within the pure channel in 2021. ABC attributed this to the very robust demand in the course of the first yr of the pandemic, which then tapered off in 2021.
- Echinacea/goldenseal mixture merchandise
- Echinacea (single-herb formulations)
“Primarily based on the near-record gross sales development of natural dietary supplements in 2021, it seems that customers continued to prioritize self-care utilizing natural dietary dietary supplements in the course of the second yr of the pandemic,” mentioned Smith, within the press launch. “As pandemic-related stressors turned considerably entrenched in 2021, shopper spending elevated for merchandise in classes equivalent to temper assist, digestive well being, and power. Maybe surprisingly, gross sales decreased for some herbs generally bought for immune assist, however 2021 gross sales of those substances had been nonetheless largely greater than in 2019. This means that shopper spending in some complement classes could also be returning to pre-pandemic ranges.”
ABC Founder and Government Director Mark Blumenthal added: “The annual ABC Herb Market Report is likely one of the most complete and well-researched publications reflecting the continued shopper demand for health-promoting, plant- and fungi-based pure merchandise. For over 30 years, ABC has knowledgeable the general public of the virtually uninterrupted development within the public’s curiosity in and makes use of of herbs as pure merchandise for all kinds of well being advantages.”
Blumenthal expressed ABC’s deep gratitude to HerbalGram Smith, who has co-authored the annual ABC Herb Market Report since 2014, in addition to to SPINS and NBJ for his or her collaboration.